Tuesday 12 April 2011

Chilling Effects Clearinghouse: Enter a Notice (step 1)

If you have received a cease and desist notice:

Adding your notice to the database is a 3 step process. Please continue through all the screens to ensure that your notice gets to us and is properly categorized.

This website cannot provide individual legal advice -- we cannot analyze your particular website or activity to assure you it is legal. (This is for your protection and ours -- we do not have the resources to analyze every site individually, and we don't want to give the impression that we have.) What we can do is help present the issues as lawyers think about them and answer general questions: Does the law really say that? What is the scope of copyright, trademark, or defamation law? What defenses exist for a given claim?

If you would like to input a notice that you have sent, please follow this link to the senders' input form.

Triggers: Follow the link that best describes your situation:

Someone is claiming that images or text posted on my website infringe a copyright.

submit C&D in topic Copyright

Someone is complaining about a domain name I registered or use.

submit C&D in topic Domain Names and Trademarks

I've used someone's brand name in my meta tags.

submit C&D in topic Trademark

My website or Internet service lets people trade games, videos and/or music.

submit C&D in topic Piracy or Copyright Infringement

I write or publish stories that involve characters originally developed by someone else, for example, tales about X-Files or Star Trek characters.

submit C&D in topic Fan Fiction

I was told that my ISP had recevied a "DMCA takedown notice."

submit C&D in topic DMCA Safe Harbor

Has someone asked your ISP or the host of an online discussion you participate in to give them your identity or other information about you?

submit C&D in topic John Doe Anonymity

Someone has called me a cybersquatter and is threatening to make a federal case of it under ACPA.

submit C&D in topic ACPA

Someone has filed, or threatened to file, a UDRP proceeding against me to take away my domain name.

submit C&D in topic Documenting Your Domain Defense

I have a website that criticizes/parodies a company or product.

submit C&D in topic Protest, Parody and Criticism Sites

Someone has asked me to remove hyperlinks from my website to another.

submit C&D in topic Linking

I have a "sucks" website, and the trademark owner I am criticizing is threatening to take action against me.

submit C&D in topic Protest, Parody and Criticism Sites

Someone is claiming that I am providing an illegal "circumvention device" on my website.

submit C&D in topic Anticircumvention (DMCA)

I "reverse engineered" a product, and the product owner is threatening to take legal action against me.

submit C&D in topic Reverse Engineering

Someone has accused me of defamation, libel or slander.

submit C&D in topic Protest, Parody and Criticism Sites

Someone has claimed that I am infringing a patent.

submit C&D in topic Patent

I am creating artwork which uses someone else's photographs, characters, etc.

submit C&D in topic Derivative Works

Enter an uncategorized notice if your C&D does not fit any of the activities above.

Flickr - projectbrainsaver

www.flickr.com
projectbrainsaver's A Point of View photoset projectbrainsaver's A Point of View photoset