Monday 21 February 2011

Voting in the UK and the poor and disenfranchised

To vote or not to vote etc

Sunday, 4 April 2010 at 10:04 pm (UTC)

We all know about a lot of the fight for voting rights - but it seems that none of that actually matters. 

It does feel like I live on a planet where my voice doesn't count for very much, if anything. 

I can join in any size group, or petition or whatever on the net and know without a shadow of doubt that it will be ignored if it's against government policy or world news viewpoint. 

I, as one of the lower 'we's, see voting as a lovely idea but not one that has anything to do with my life - it looks and feels like a reason for why things are what they are - vote and you could show you want change - but change that won't happen. 

I have spent half the day on this article / cause / statements / replies / comments and I noticed that all your accredited comments were from people who society is already catering for and to. Had it ever occurred to you to list the views of all those who don't believe and then have the celebs say what they think of those comments. A list of people who would not normally be asked for their comments.

We all know that voting is right - but not when there is no choice and we look stupid when we carry on time and time again, year in year out, voting for 'suits' who say they only wear the suits out of respect for our views - dark suited men with their tales to tell (Suit = attitude not person).

I will be voting, at 53 years old. I am not sure why I will be bothering sometimes - respect for a system well past it's sell by date - certainly past the date of a major core update. 

I am still waiting for a humane government that isn't prompted by media or the one, occasional, human in a wide spread of 'no' machines. Look no further than Gary McKinnon or Ian Norris.

So many people in this country have been poorly fed, poorly educated and miserably equipped to make their ways in a modern world. Ghettoed by poverty. Ghettoed by mindset and if you change things so slowly, so you don't lose you own grip on the bits you have, then that change might just as well be useless. The ghettos remain.

I look at the above history and I think of my £69 benefit and I think whoopee time to vote and change my circumstances.. yer, right.

 

... and then i think

 

if only

 

maybe

 

it could happen

 

and that's why I will vote.

Flickr - projectbrainsaver

www.flickr.com
projectbrainsaver's A Point of View photoset projectbrainsaver's A Point of View photoset