Friday 8 July 2011

Kronic a no-go for ganja granny - Story - National - 3 News

Kronic a no-go for ganja granny

16 comments | Post Comment email Email printer friendly Print    Text Size:
aA
aA
aA
Photoshop artist's impression of what a ganja granny might look like

Photoshop artist's impression of what a ganja granny might look like

<div></div>

Fri, 17 Jun 2011 11:39a.m.

By Dan Satherley

Mary likes a good joint, lighting up twice a day and considers herself a bit of a cannabis connoisseur.

"There is of course, as you probably don't know, there is quite a variation in the type of high you get," Mary – not her real name – told RadioLIVE's Marcus Lush this morning.

The catch is Mary is almost into her ninth decade, and smokes the herb so she can advise the youth what's worth indulging in and what isn't.

"I have been a regular – but light – marijuana smoker for 30 to 40 years, and by light I mean half a joint before dinner, half a joint after dinner," she says.

And at nearly 80 years old, Mary feels she's qualified to say that synthetic cannabis such as Kronic just isn't worth it.

"In wanting to be able to advise my grandchildren I bought some Kronic, and I found it chronic to smoke," says Mary.

"It's very strong. For me, I would use perhaps a small fingernail, about that much, in a pipe. About three tokes, I found the effect was quite a heavy type of chemical high, not a nice, light, New Zealand green high.

"Little bit of a headache around the back area, didn't enjoy it. I would not like to see my grandchildren or any child smoke a full joint of Kronic. They'd be off their faces."

But isn't that the point of smoking marijuana? In that respect, isn't smoking Kronic the same thing?

"Yes, but it's not as nice," says Mary.

"There are levels of high – some are clear, and bright, and happy and good fun, and I would put this in a lower category of, 'dur, I'm a get stoned!' feeling, and I certainly wouldn't be happy having my grandchildren… attempt to smoke Kronic as a normal joint."

Mary thinks if people were just allowed to do their own thing and grow their own naturally, low quality, chemical highs like Kronic wouldn't be a problem.

"I'd be really happy to buy a permit that allows me to grow my own," she says. "Nobody's going to tell me what to do at nearly 80."

3 News

Flickr - projectbrainsaver

www.flickr.com
projectbrainsaver's A Point of View photoset projectbrainsaver's A Point of View photoset