Saturday 18 December 2010

End Of The Week Doodle : Krulwich Wonders… : NPR

It's odd really. I write these blogs and I have no idea what's going to get lots of you to jump in and join me. One week it's arsenic-based life, Chicago coyotes, astronauts on the Moon. The next week it's Madame Curie's love affairs and doodling in math class.  Every time up, I try to be provocative. Or at least curious.

Sometimes you wonder with me and sometimes you take a peek and wander off. Why do some posts take off and others don't? I have no idea. (And don't really want to know.) But it sure is fun to have you all come and sometimes bite me (and each other) while I sit here figuring out ways to make you stay.

And since math education (yesterday's post) got the juices flowing,  I thought I'd finish the week with this lovely poster, a kind of summing up, from Dayna Watland, a former graduate student of California State University emerita professor  Joan Wink.

An illustration of the 3 models of pedagogy which are transmission, generative and transformative.
Dayna L. Watland /Critical Pedagogy: Notes from the Real World

An illustration of the three models of pedagogy which are transmission, generative and transformative.

Clearly Ms. Wink and Ms. Watland  would join Vi Hart and Paul Lockhart (see yesterday's post) and argue for math classes that "transform" kids. But to all of you who might disagree, notice: The flower that sits on the right has its roots next to the basic skills teacher; when kids ask questions, it grows leaves, and when minds expand, it bursts into flower.

Flickr - projectbrainsaver

www.flickr.com
projectbrainsaver's A Point of View photoset projectbrainsaver's A Point of View photoset