Monday 13 June 2011

Building A Team (or a Relationship) - Paying It Forward

Reading through my favorite bloggers' most recent posts this morning I came across one by Mike Brown, @Brainzooming, titled '15 Strategic Marketing Lessons From TMSA (#TMSA11)' that contained a section that caught my eye on how to build a strong team. Mike is a social media strategist and a very brilliant man who sometimes shares information that I have to reread a couple of times to understand. But this section was easy for me to understand and it made a lot of sense. And although I am going to paraphrase here, I encourage you to find Mike on Twitter and check out his website and follow his blog.

HOW TO BUILD A STRONG TEAM

Treat all members with respect

Celebrate diversity (and differences) within the team

Instill sense of personal sacrifice for the team's success

This past weekend my husband Tom and I received some news about a health battle he has been waging that was not good. Actually it was rather heartcrushing. And as Tom and I processed what all of this could mean it reminded me once again of this team we have created the past twenty five plus years and why it has worked so well.

We not only promised to love and cherish at our wedding, we promised to like and respect.

We generally do not get mad and angry at or belittle our differences. And we are very different! Family lifestyles, small town vs. big city, military service vs. college educated, self employed vs. employed, etc. Yet because we respect and like each other, we welcome our differences as they add color and a  different perspective.

We have both sacrificed for the success of our "team."  Gave up things we each liked to do. Held our tongue instead of saying "I told you so." Turned down promotions. Funded businesses. Cheered on the other when trying new things. Never let others put a wedge between us and the decisions we made together. Supported each other in health and in sickness. And will continue to do so.

So leukemia, screw you! This team has a bucket list of plans and goals that will need another twenty or thirty years to accomplish.

  

 

Flickr - projectbrainsaver

www.flickr.com
projectbrainsaver's A Point of View photoset projectbrainsaver's A Point of View photoset