Wednesday 15 June 2011

Klout Stars: Timothy Welsh « Measuring Online Influence: The Official Klout Blog

Our Klout Stars series highlights top influencers and how they got to where they are today. I’m excited to interview Timothy Welsh today since he is known as one the strongest advocates for Autism on social media.

About Timothy: Timothy Welsh has established himself as a leading Autism advocate on Twitter and other social media platforms. Otherwise known as @TannersDad, Tim uses blogging, Twitter, Linkedin, and Facebook to advocate for greater resources for families who have loved ones dealing with Autism. His mission will continue until services are given freely and discrimination based on Geographic home, Socioeconomic status, and Ethnicity is ended. Also, every parent gets a hug and hears or reads “I Love You”.

We asked…

1. How did you get started on social media?

“After having two heart attacks at 38 and dealing with my Son Tanner’s profound regression due to Autism, I began to write. Two years ago I was introduced at the AutismOne conference in Chicago. Everyone stood up and clapped. I covered my face. Then the National Speaker took the stage and stopped in the middle of her speech, She said something I wrote caused her not to commit suicide. I realized the Impact of Social Media and spurred on my Advocacy for Autism Support services and reform.”

2. What’s your strategy for the content you produce and share on social media?

“I have many avenues in which I reach out. First personal contact and interaction. Second I consider myself a news aggregator. I gather relevant news for stakeholders dealing with Autism. Third I blog on various sites. Fourth My team has an Infotainment strategy including book promotion, standard old school media, and a movie coming out next year. http://www.USofAutism.com And Finally daily content for all. Daily Prayer, Twitter Tips, #FAY Feel Autism Yet? quotes from stakeholders dealing with Autism.”

3. What advice do you have for someone who wants to take their social media influence and presence to the next level?

“Interact interact interact. So many confuse Social Media with Broadcast media. People are very lonely, scared, and need support right now. Inspire, dream, share, be Honest, and complement others. I love the new addition of Adding K to others now through Klout. I have used Klout Metrics from day one. Learn about those you influence. Ask those who you influence why. I would be happy to mentor and help all navigate there way through the social, new, and Cause Media Maze. TannersDad Tim Autism Advocate. ”

Want to hear more from Timothy? Follow him on Twitter as @TannersDad or check out Generation Rescue to help out.

Let us know what you think of Klout Stars! If you’d like to be considered for a future Klout Stars post about your social media success please email contact@klout.com.

ShareThis

This entry was posted on Wednesday, June 15th, 2011 at 9:36 am and is filed under influencers, klout stars. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Flickr - projectbrainsaver

www.flickr.com
projectbrainsaver's A Point of View photoset projectbrainsaver's A Point of View photoset